Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10/30/2010- State of the server, I need YOUR input.

+9
StoneNap
Modoatk
kclaney
Cronixia
Dempere02
elephantinepizza
meeetch
BenSlater
wussupwussup
13 posters

:: Junk :: Old posts

Go down

What choice direction do you want to go?

10/30/2010- State of the server, I need YOUR input. Vote_lcap13%10/30/2010- State of the server, I need YOUR input. Vote_rcap1 13% 
[ 3 ]
10/30/2010- State of the server, I need YOUR input. Vote_lcap75%10/30/2010- State of the server, I need YOUR input. Vote_rcap1 75% 
[ 18 ]
10/30/2010- State of the server, I need YOUR input. Vote_lcap4%10/30/2010- State of the server, I need YOUR input. Vote_rcap1 4% 
[ 1 ]
10/30/2010- State of the server, I need YOUR input. Vote_lcap8%10/30/2010- State of the server, I need YOUR input. Vote_rcap1 8% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 24

10/30/2010- State of the server, I need YOUR input. Empty 10/30/2010- State of the server, I need YOUR input.

Post  wussupwussup Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:05 pm

Hello everyone, today we're stuck at a crossroads. As many of you have surely noticed our "new and improved" VPS seems to not like working internet. Therefore we have a discussion to make and I need the communities input. Please click view all and leave some comments on what I should do.

Would you rather: Keep the current VPS and try and somehow work with the people for the internet. Note, this course of action has no guarantees we don't know if they will fix it and it has recently come to our attention that this host uses a terrible ISP in the first place. However, doing this will allow us to keep both servers up at the same time and have a separate PvP and creative environment.

Or, B- Switch to a different host. We've been looking at options and theirs nothing that completely supports our needs therefore we would end of going to a host that doesn't provide enough resources to meet our needs in order to run two servers. This means we will go back to a one server plan but with some changes. We will have only the creative server however, we will have optional player killing and all time monster killing. I'll do a full work up on my thoughts about having the one server with optional PvP later either on here, ventrillo, or on the server. My basic idea was to have towns a no-pvp zone and anything outside of cities was free to pillage and kill others that had PvP enabled on. Hell would be all time PvP while inside.

So please, leave your thoughts here because this will have a major impact on the future of the server.

wussupwussup
Owner

Back to top Go down

10/30/2010- State of the server, I need YOUR input. Empty Re: 10/30/2010- State of the server, I need YOUR input.

Post  BenSlater Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:19 pm

Ima go with B i like pvp but the lag is terrible and i prefer creative so Smile

BenSlater

Back to top Go down

10/30/2010- State of the server, I need YOUR input. Empty Re: 10/30/2010- State of the server, I need YOUR input.

Post  meeetch Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:21 pm

Solution B screams amazingness to me. Having protected towns would be SICK. We could possibly reimplement architect type ranks for those who would rather live in the towns. As of now, I think asking the current VPS for better service probably won't change much :S. So yea, fucking mixing pvp and creative build would be SIIICK! I TOTALLY agree and vote for plan B.

meeetch

Back to top Go down

Post  BenSlater Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:25 pm

^^ I dont think any rank changes would be required but possibly adding extra's eg Warlord? Because i like my architect rank etc.

BenSlater

Back to top Go down

Post  elephantinepizza Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:31 pm

I'm all for B. It gives it the Diablo II-esque sort of feel where you can keep safe your truly valuable treasures that you don't want to see gone in an instant and it's like starting the game over every time you die, while still having anything you're carrying looted from you.

However, I think it'd be cooler to let whoever owns the town decide the rules on PVP. Some architects might have strict 'dont fuck with anyone or anything' rules, while others might be 'do whatever you please' sort of thing, and hopefully more balanced places in between. That way you can still have towns that are 'warring' against each other, and then more peaceful, protected ones for the creative folks.

elephantinepizza

Back to top Go down

Post  Dempere02 Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:30 pm

A vote for B here too, free for all PVP with the whole map is a bit too much for new players, sometimes you're just minding your own bussiness and bam you're killed by someone with a diamond sword from behind. so every town/city would have their own rules about PVP and stuff.

So we get the best from both servers into one Very Happy. Needs no further discussion DO EET. but wait for the halloween update so we can make themed cities with the biomes and stuff

Dempere02
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cronixia Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:12 pm

B. I didn't like world PvP, it was a bit much and didn't work out that well. One world with everything on it would be very nice.

Cronixia
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post  kclaney Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:51 pm

I think the A solution is definitely out of the question. The current server status makes enjoying the game nearly impossible. Unfortunately, I don't really think option B is ideal. Everybody will make sure to avoid having anything worth looting out in the wild, making pvp mostly just a waste of time. Unless they are farming for mats.. in which case one person loses all their wood lets say, which the other person couldn't care less about. Maybe I'll find a way to have fun with it though, my friend and I could be "bandits" where you have to pay us to get your stuff back.

kclaney

Back to top Go down

Post  Modoatk Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:08 pm

I agree with everyone else, solution B sounds really amazing.

anything outside of cities was free to pillage and kill others that had PvP enabled on
This makes it sound like people could switch on and off their pvp setting? Wouldn't people start switching off their PvP when they were about to get killed :/

EDIT: So maybe have certain towns be creative (esp. one w/ spawn in it) and have the rest of the map be PvP? -Then when you travel between towns you have to watch out for bandits etc! Very Happy

Modoatk
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  StoneNap Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:55 pm

I would prefer solution B, as it gives the server more uptime, and means less work for you guys, and give you more time looking for another hoster for the regular server.

However, if/when it's switched over to PVP Only, would you be keeping the regular caste server map somewhere?

StoneNap

Back to top Go down

Post  elephantinepizza Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:41 am

Unfortunately the Halloween update didn't include PVP Sad. Or minecarts. You know, the two most desirable things >Sad.

So I guess we're still with the PVP mod a lil longer...

elephantinepizza

Back to top Go down

Post  wussupwussup Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:54 am

The PvP mod is far far far better then simply enabling players taking damage would ever be.

wussupwussup
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  StoneNap Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:24 am

wussupwussup wrote:The PvP mod is far far far better then simply enabling players taking damage would ever be.

Especially with all the random holes people dig into the ground with.

StoneNap

Back to top Go down

Post  Erikinfo Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:16 pm

I choose for option A, for it will be better in the long run. for the short term, option A is best.

i have to ask though, please restart the map on the normal server -but keep the ranks.

The new terrain generator is awesome, i never had so much fun in the Single player, the MP will rock even more with this gen.

EDIT: B sounds good as well, i like the plan. parhaps we can do both? set up a new server (B) and work on the VPS server to see if that can be fixed?

Erikinfo
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post  CarpeNemo Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:16 pm

I never liked the PVP to start with - and we were all happy back before we had it. It's just not my bag. If there was a way to only enable it for certain people at certain times, I'd be good with it - Thunderdome, anyone?

But since there doesn't seem to be, I cast my vote for old VPS, no PVP. In my mind it simplifies everything and we don't really lose much.

CarpeNemo

Back to top Go down

Post  MatthewAtreides Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:51 am

I like the sound of option B with Having a combined map.

So could we have some towns owned by clans rather than just towns owned by archs and elders+
i think that would make things interesting cause the clan towns would need to have guards there to keep warring clans out. the non-clan towns would be neutral to provide a mutual safe haven or depending on whether the town owner care if members from separate clans fight in their town

MatthewAtreides

Back to top Go down

Post  Erikinfo Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:01 am

MatthewAtreides wrote:I like the sound of option B with Having a combined map.

So could we have some towns owned by clans rather than just towns owned by archs and elders+
i think that would make things interesting cause the clan towns would need to have guards there to keep warring clans out. the non-clan towns would be neutral to provide a mutual safe haven or depending on whether the town owner care if members from separate clans fight in their town

The plan looks good, only problem i have with it is that you hit people when u dig a few squares near them. This will make working together nearly impossible. Maybe this is fixed when the lagg is gone.

2nd im afraid PvP will 'allow' griefing and raiding cities (unless the locked chests really work). PvP allowed raiding, I will only take citizens/workers with me who i really trust (which are skype contacts), cuz if i take someone who got his hands loose (happened to me), my golden decoration might be removed every day i log in.. This PvP system (although i really like it and i like the plan of bringing it together) will kinda ruin the economy//caste system. --who says a worker wont kill me when im digging a path through stone, and i am trapped between the wall and the worker?

At that point, factions come in. Every faction has its own city//city-state//castle, etc. We will only let workers from our faction work for us, etc. But than again, how will the [LW] workers know which faction to join, how will the lumberjacks who just join know who to give their resources to (to Erikinfo, from faction X, to Dump, from fraction Y, or to a King from a next fraction?). Stuffing everything in 'the bank' wont work, cuz there are people of multiple fractions who have access to the bank, and who are rivals -and who all need the recourses.
Forcing lumberjacks to join a faction be4 they can promote, would work, but than u invite people u dont know, with all the risks..

Option B has a lot of challenges, but knowing the Kings, they will find a good way of dealing with them. I am really looking forward to it -and please, dont start the server before the 10th, than i finished my tests and got 2 weeks free from uni Wink

Erikinfo
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post  MatthewAtreides Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:41 pm

well i think the LW could just be freelance and work for creds/diamonds/Gold. All the promotion materials could just go to the kings for distribution among the clans that way there couldn't be as much warring over who get the materials. the LW should work as freelance because if they were getting paid why would they f up the clan paying them. Is there any way to make a whisper to an entire clan so secret messages don't have to pass though every clan member

MatthewAtreides

Back to top Go down

Post  TyCR Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:03 pm

I think we need a new world and option B would be the best
we need stricter building rules cause the server is getting kinda ugly with the bank exposed and the brick buildings. utopia is nice though

TyCR

https://www.youtube.com/tycr899

Back to top Go down

Post  BenSlater Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:04 pm

TyCR wrote:Utopia is nice though
Damn right biatch.

BenSlater

Back to top Go down

Post  meeetch Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:11 pm

BenSlater wrote:
TyCR wrote:Utopia is nice though
Damn right biatch.
Utopia! REPRESENT!

Seriously think that with a hybrid PVP server we should be allowed to have ONE protected chest. This will require some sort of modding but, I don't mod or code or anything so I don't know how that would work out. But limiting players to one protected chest would be nice. OR admins could open a bank where players could buy vault slots to store their valuables. Non pvp towns should be protected and should require players to apply for building rights to prevent griefing of creative builds

meeetch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down